Re: sparse maintenance pace?

On 02/23/2018 03:17 AM, Josh Triplett wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:28:21PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
>> Hey Chris & Sparse ML,
>>
>> I've seen that Luc (CC'd) has a boat load of well tested patches, and
>> is also actively working on new features and improvements. Meanwhile
>> the sparse master branch on kernel.org seems like a bit of an
>> afterthought. What would it take to enable Luc to really take the
>> reins and start merging his stuff upstream and pulling things forward?
>> Sparse is a special project -- being lightweight yet having so many
>> neat capabilities -- and I'd really hate to see it languish in the age
>> of all-things-clang.
>
> Sparse is the kind of project that needs careful curation, and
> personally, I think it's quite reasonable and important to be cautious
> about direction and patch acceptance. I'd be concerned about changing
> that, personally.
>
> That said, I do think the ambiguity between the master branch and
> development branches is a bit problematic, and it would help if the
> master branch stayed more up to date with current development. That
> would probably help address such concerns.
> --

I would add that:

(a) I would prefer to see more "released versions"
(see https://sparse.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page and
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/devel/sparse/dist/)

(b) If there are not going to be more released versions on kernel.org due to
the past security problem (and signing required etc.), then the sparse wiki
page should be updated to say that there won't be more "released versions" on
kernel.org.

thanks,
--
~Randy