Re: sparse maintenance pace?

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:28:21PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hey Chris & Sparse ML,
>
> I've seen that Luc (CC'd) has a boat load of well tested patches, and
> is also actively working on new features and improvements. Meanwhile
> the sparse master branch on kernel.org seems like a bit of an
> afterthought.

Yes. I would say that since July 2015 most patches are ignored or
ignored for many many months, unless the developer spent an insane
amount of time, energy and patience. It's not normal.
This happen even when there is some urgency to quickly release
a fix, like here stopping thousands useless warnings to everyone
compiling the kernel with C=[12] (we had similar situation already).

> What would it take to enable Luc to really take the
> reins and start merging his stuff upstream and pulling things forward?
> Sparse is a special project -- being lightweight yet having so many
> neat capabilities -- and I'd really hate to see it languish in the age
> of all-things-clang. (More importantly, is that even something that
> appeals to you, Luc?)

I also hate to see sparse dying slowly.

I think, indeed, it would be a good thing for sparse that Chris
step down and let someone with more time and more motivation maintain
sparse. And yes, I would be happy to be the person helping developers
to improve sparse and users to have a better tool.

-- Luc Van Oostenryck