Re: Potential problem with variable handling - Was: Handling of local variables in the backend

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Dibyendu Majumdar
<mobile@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have been thinking about this issue for some time - i.e. that the
> Sparse IR does not explicitly define or initialize local variables.

The problem of undefined variables is one thing (that the SSA conversion
can and should deal with).

> The back-end deals with it by doing it at first access. But this could
> result in incorrect behavior if the initialization was meant to occur
> at a certain point in the code. I should probably try to prove this
> theory by creating a test - but intuitively it seems that if the
> programmer had meant to initialize a variable at a particular point,
> there could be a reason why it should be done at that point and not
> some point later.

Unless you access the variables by some means the compiler is not aware
of, it must not matter.

And in all case, the initialization must be done when the following rules
(scopes, sequence points, ...) and the compiler is free to do anything
'as if' these rules are respected.

-- Luc