Re: sparse test failures on ppc32le (and other not so common archs)

On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 11:02 PM, Uwe Kleine-König <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I tried this on ppc64le and it fixes 2 tests, so were at
>
>         Out of 287 tests, 273 passed, 14 failed (10 of them are known to fail)
>
> The repaired tests are:
>
>         backend/hello.c
>         backend/sum.c
>
> unexpected failures are:
>
>         backend/arithmetic-ops.c
>         backend/cmp-ops.c
>         backend/int-cond.c
>         backend/logical-ops.c
>
> These are not about missing preprocessor tokens as there are no system
> includes used, but the error there is
>
>         Error: unrecognized opcode: `...`
>
> . I didn't look into what the problem is there, but attached the test
> log.

It clearly looks as the code generated by LLVM  (the machine code/assembly
not LLVM's bytecode) is not understood by the assembler (or at least some
instructions). Probably a mismatch with the architecture version or something
like that.

> I did a build test on a few other Debian machines, arm64 was fine, mips
> and mipx64el had 15 failures, ppc64 (i.e. big endian) had 12. I didn't
> look in more detail and suggest to tackle one after the other :-)

I fully test on x86, x86-64, arm & ARM64 (with LLVM 3.9 or 4.0).
I also test on ppc64 but not the LLVM part because the machines I have
access to have not LLVM installed and I never bothered to install it myself.

Would it be possible to have access to a machine with the architectures
you care about?

Meanwhile, is it possible to have the build logs but with 'make V=1 ...' ?
It would also be useful to have:
- the output of 'uname -a'
- the details about the version of LLVM you're using

On the other hand, you/us should disable the sparse-llvm part since:
- it's something that is bundled and build by default but absolutely not
  needed (or even useful) to use sparse.
- it hasn't been written for anything else than x86/x86-64 (no 'layout'
  for anything else than those architectures.

Best regards,
-- Luc Van Ooostenryck