Re: sparse test failures on ppc32le (and other not so common archs)

On 31/08/17 21:55, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 08:11:49PM -0400, Christopher Li wrote:
>> That is very much like on x86_64 missing define "#weak_define __x86_64__ 1"
>>
>> Does cgcc work for you? In the future we do want to move the archetecture
>> related define from cgcc into sparse by itself. For now you can set
>> "sparse" as "cgcc -no-compile"
>
> Yes that works. So to address the Debian bug I can do:
>
>  - move sparse to /usr/lib
>  - teach cgcc about the move of sparse
>  - make /usr/bin/sparse call cgcc -no-compile "$@"

Hmm, I don't think that would be a good idea ...

> or is it easier to teach sparse about the architecture stuff?

I now understand (I think!) that you are building a sparse
package (presumably a .deb) and you are concerned that sparse
does not pass it's own testsuite on those platforms.

As I said before, the additional failures you are seeing are
in the 'llvm backend' code (which, as far as I know, only passes
on x86_64 Linux), and in my opinion the llvm-backend programs should
not be installed. (The Makefile will build them automatically if
you have llvm installed, likewise for c2xml/libxml and test-inspect/gtk).

[I would like to see build variable(s) to allow the user to suppress
the build (or installation) of the other 'non-primary' sparse programs.]

Anyway, if you were to un-install llvm, sparse-llvm etc., would not
be built, and the tests would not be run ... ;-)

Christopher, as the project maintainer, has the joy of making these
kinds of decisions! :-D

ATB,
Ramsay Jones