Re: Potential incorrect simplification

On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 07:34:50PM -0400, Christopher Li wrote:
> >> Yes, you keep on arguing this is the result of uninitialized variable.
> >> Nothing to worry about.
> >
> > You asked a question about the *current* behaviour of sparse
> > and I explained the reason of this behaviour.
>
> I ask the question weather this SSA form is legal (in the sense
> that preserving SSA property if you want to be more specific.)
>
> You are saying you did not answer my question directly. You did not
> pass judgement on weather this thing is legal or not. You just say why
> it was done this way.

Because answering this question with an 'yes' or a 'no' is pointless.
Imagine that some authority on compiler would have answered to you
'yes' I consider that as legal because this or that. Would it have
helped you? I don't think so. Same with 'no'.

> > It's not because explain this that I'm also saying
> > "that is the correct behaviour and nothing must be changed about".
> >
> > And you know that I don't think so because we already talked about it.
> > And I already said you that I have code that redo the SSA construction
> > and that this code doesn't have the issues with undef vars because
> > I used a special value for them.
>
> That is what I want to find out, if your new SSA form have the similar
> problem violating the SSA property or not.

It would have been easier to simply ask it.

> >> Then how to fix it is just technical details.
> >> I care less about warning uninitialized variable warning, which
> >> we can't do a perfect job any way. I am more worry about those
> >> screw up SSA forms.
> >
> > It's where we disagree.
> > You're talking about this SSA thing as if you're busy writing a
> > compiler but currently and since its creation sparse is a
> > *semantic checker* used in *complement* of a real compiler
> > to give warnings that the compiler doesn't bother with.
>
> Please don't mix the raising warning thing as if do proper SSA
> hinder you raise warning about uninitialized value.

Have I said that or even suggest it?

> It is actually
> the reverse, do proper SSA will help you find out using uninitialized
> value better.
>
> But as I said, we can't get the warning perfect right due to nature
> of the problem.

Yes, it's pretty well known about uninitialized vars.

> > My opinion is that it is *very* valuable to given the best possible
> > warnings and yes it sucks that so many things relative to
> > compiler technology are undecidable or NP-hard & friends.
> > But this only means that it is impossible to do a *perfect* job,
> > not that it is impossible to do a *good* job.
>
> No disagreement here. Warning and proper SSA form is two different
> thing.

Good.

> You told me about the placement of phi node. I look it up. Yes
> it is a big problem. But that "usage before define" and violating the
> SSA dominance property you never told me about.

I certainly not said something like "usage before define" since it's
just a symptom. I told you about solving problmes with the handling
of undefined vars.

> You does not seem to
> understand what property SSA should have in the first few response
> to my email, questioning how to define "illegal SSA".  That is my
> impression, I can be wrong.

Your impression is very wrong.
Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to write code to redo the SSA
construction thing and told you that there is a lot of problems
with the current SSA.

> >> Now that RC5 is almost out of the door.  It is my intention to start this
> >> discussion to clarify things and point out things I believe is wrong.
> >> I know it is going to be a controversial topic :-)
> >
> > I have a feeling that the 150+ patches that are pending since
> > January-March will have to wait even more.
> > Same for a series that is waiting since more than 2 years now.
> > Am I wrong?
>
> No, and sorry about that. I was too busy at that time. But now I have
> allocate some time for sparse. Let's do the review process again
> after the release.

OK good to hear that.
I insist very heavily that I would like those to be handled *before*
moving further witht the SSA thing. Especially for Nicolai's series
which is waiting since a scandalous amount of time.

-- Luc