Re: Sparse release v0.5.1-rc1

On 13/06/17 05:58, Luc Van Oostenryck wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 10:05:27AM -0700, Christopher Li wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I know that sparse has due for a new release for very long time.
>> So here it is.
>
> Great!
>
>> I take what is in the spase-next and put them into
>> a branch "sparse-0.5.1-rc1".
>>
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/devel/sparse/sparse.git/log/?h=sparse-0.5.1-rc1
>>
>> Thanks to Luc Van Oostenryck who contribute a great deal
>> of the high quality patches. Sparse should behave much better
>> when checking the recent kernel source code.
>>
>> Please give the RC1 a good test. Report any problem you found.
>
> I really think that for this it would be better to not have
> this rc1 in a separate branch but instead a simple tag in
> the master branch, like most projects do.
> A lot of people are willing to take the last version of the
> master branch but won't bother to checkout another one.
> It also conveys the message that this rc1 may be unstable and
> too risky for be part of the master branch. It's also not good
> for distros and environments which do automatic build, daily
> snapshots and such as they won't use another branch.
>
>> Luc, do you have another other bug fix low risk patches you want to
>> add in this release? I want to do a quick release then go back to merge
>> your other changes.
>
> Nothing really important but I would like to have the following
> ones in the release:
> - patch "avoid warning on explicit 'bool <- restricted' casts"
>   I would have liked an Acked-by from Al Viro on this one but
>   he is quite busy.
> - patch "add support for -Wmemcpy-max-count" & friends
>   This patch will likely be used for the git tree

Luc, I have not actually tested these patches (I was waiting for
something I could git-fetch). I have no doubt they are good, but
it just occurred to me that a patch may be missing. I don't recall
seeing a change to cgcc to filter-out the new, sparse only, options.
ie. they need to be added to the check_only_option subroutine (#102).