Re: [RFC] rationale for systematic elimination of OP_SYMADDR instructions

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 7:49 PM, Luc Van Oostenryck
<luc.vanoostenryck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roughly, once you begin to play with code generation, something like
> OP_SYMADDR is an operation that you will really do.
> Depending on the relocation, it can even be something relatively costly:
> I'm thinking static code on a 64bit machine where you can only generate
> 16bit constants, others cases may be not at all cheaper.
> So it's something that soon or later will need to be exposed and
> doing CSE on the address is good.

Ack. I think the OP_SYMADDR elimination was wrong, and your patch is
the right thing to do.

It was done to roughly approximate the 32-bit x86 code, making the
pseudo-asm that the linearizer outputs look more like x86 address
generation, but you're right, it's bogus.

                 Linus