Re: enum warning patch (was Re: Defect in linearization of short circuit &&)

On Tue February 16 2010 23:44:08 Christopher Li wrote:
> Most simple enum declare has very small set of values. So naturally I
> might want to use
> some thing smaller than int type to store the enum value. I can't find
> a good way to play
> well with the enum warnings.
>
> If I use "char type" to store it. It trigger warning when you assign to it.
> If I use "enum foo_type type:8" to store it, it will use int type
> alignment and padding which
> defeat the purpose of using a smaller type.
>
> Any suggestion?

I don't think it's that easy to implement while keeping it enough generic.
You need either a type able to store _any_ enum value, or a kind of type
with variable size to keep it still working.  The second seems like quite
a lot of fuss over 4 bytes of memory.

Kamil