Re: Warnings on global symbols accessed only from assembly code

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Ahmed S. Darwish <darwish.07@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The case I faced was kernel's main entrance C method which should only be
> jumped to from bootstrap asm code. I think a declaration in such case will
> only give bogus function usage impressions.

How about give it some prototype which clearly indicate the function should
be only call from boot strap? e.g. BOOT_STRAP_ENTRY(function_name) which
expand it to a function prototype.

>> > Unfortunately the current `-Wno-decl' solution is a bit extreme: it
>> > turns off a very useful sparse feature (by design).
>>
>> Right, the problem is that sparse can't tell which functions are used in
>> asm files and only skip warning on those.
>>

> Would proposing an __attribute__ for such case be accepted in concept?

I don't thing it justify more non-stander attribute, which is
for-the-sake-of-sparse
thing as well.

Chris