Re: Detect unused header files?

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Christopher Li wrote:

> But a lot of case we have the header file is used in *another*
> file.
>

> > Sample:
> >
> > cat foo.h:
> > #include <linux/types.h>
> > #include <linux/swab.h>
> >
> > struct foo {
> >        __u32 bar;
> >        __u32 baz;
> > };
> >
> > EOF
> >

> > Here <linux/swab.h> is obviously not used.
> > And I would like sparse to flag this...
>
> I don't think it is can be turn on by default. What if some user
> space program want to include foo.h and use the definitional inside
> "swab.h"? In that case it will be OK. I don't think we can ban this
> kind of the usage case.

  sure you can.  no one should be counting on the inclusion of header
files by other header files (except possibly in unusual situations,
which i can't even think of at the moment).  if your program needs the
contents of a header file, it's your responsibility to include it.

rday

"Kernel Newbie Corner" column @ linux.com:          http://cli.gs/WG6WYX