Sparse official tree merged

Hi,

I just clean up the history in chrisl/sparse.git a little bit and
push them to the official tree.

Moving forward, I am going to continue using chrisl/sparse.git
as a developing tree. Patches will first apply there and then
move to official tree later on.

Warning for developing branch, I am going to clean up history there
occasionally.You might not get a clean fast forward pull. If that becomes
a problem, I will consider using topic branch later. For now, there
is just not enough changes to make the topic branch worthwhile.

Please give the official tree some test and report any problem you
found.

Thanks

Chris