Re: feature-request

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 02:48:45AM +0000, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 14:39 +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > While I'm at it, there is this feature I'd like to see in sparse: I'd
> > love to be able to ask it to ignore errors that are located in some
> > specific paths (like /usr/include e.g.). For now I'm doing that through
> > a custom script, but it'd be simpler for me if it does it natively.  The
> > reason is that I don't want to patch third party libraries headers.
>
> We probably don't want to ignore _errors_, as they can indicate that the
> parser doesn't understand the code correctly.  Ignoring warnings would
> be a good idea.

  Of course it's what I meant.

> Perhaps a simpler approach would be to turn off warnings in any files
> included using angle brackets.

  Nope, that's not good, because I use angle brackets to #include files
from my projects when I use internally in-tree headers that will in the
end be public.

  I'd rather like to ask to ignore warnings for example, for file under
/usr/include and /usr/lib/gcc/

> gcc doesn't report warnings in system files by default, but it can be
> enabled with -Wsystem-headers.  Since sparse is primarily for the
> kernel, I think the default should be to check the headers (as they are
> part of the kernel), but sparse could support -Wno-system-headers.

  yeah, that'd be really great.

> Alternatively, sparse could have a userspace mode that would disable
> warnings in system headers by default (unless -Wsystem-headers is used).
> The kernel mode could be made stricter for the kernel without affecting
> the userspace.

  I don't really mind this way or the other, really :)

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                madcoder@xxxxxxxxxx