Re: Backend projects for Sparse

Christopher Li wrote:
It does support SSA from for internal variable(pseudo in
linearization). Not sure
what kind of "canonical SSA" do you have in mind.
Hi Christopher

first of all, thanks for your specific answers. The SSA form that i think of uses only PHI functions. Guard variables (conditionals for selecting a specific usage) may or may not be explicit. Usually, most SSA forms just specify which uses are merged. The conditionals can be inferred by control-flow analysis.

In my mind a single C program file (actually read: translation unit) would be
translated to something like the following structure:

The sparse front end generate list of symbols. Functions is symbol as well.
So it have one single list of symbols that your back end should care about.
You need to look into the symbol type to find out this symbol is a function.
But that is just details.

Inside each function, there is list of symbol access by this functions as well.
I think it is sym->symbol_list.
OK.

4) Is there anyone working on a RISC-like processor backend project. I feel that
 if the entire backend can be contained in something like "compile-i386.c" then
it could be even possible to automate the generation of such file from a more
compact specification file. (plus some hand-written intrinsics probably).

OK, thank you for this one. I'll have a good look to "compile.c".

5) Is there any documentation covering the API and linked tools to the sparse
library (something more than the man pages)?

Not that I know of. If you need that much detail to perform the back end work,
you have to read some source code. I think you can ignore a lot of the parser
details and focus on the linearized byte code.

sparse.c is another example of using those linearized byte code, it
only look for
specific subset in the linearized code though.

Chris

Kind regards
Nikolaos Kavvadias

-