Re: 0.3 ?

Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 12:29 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>> Any plans to do another release sometime soon?
>> I'm hitting a segfault with 0.2, that seems to be
>> fixed in the current git tree.
>
> Absolutely.  It would be very welcome.
[...]
> I'm using sparse from git a lot, and whenever I have any issues, they
> are in the sources sparse is checking, not in sparse itself.  It looks
> quite stable to me.  It would be great to see sparse 0.3 released soon.

Your mails made me realize that because Sparse doesn't have a pre-release or
release-candidate process (not yet needed, in my opinion), people don't
necessarily know when I prep for a release and when I just take random
patches.  (Also, most of the most recent patches to Sparse have provided
bugfixes, so it likely still looked like "taking all patches".)  In the
future, I will try to remember to mail the list when I start going into
"process bugfixes and release" mode.

After 0.2, several major chages occurred, such as the impressive new features
from Christopher Li; these patches needed some time to stabilize.  In
addition, I noticed some embarrassing self-warnings and an issue with glibc
2.5.

> I actually developed a habit of never loading any kernel code that
> doesn't pass sparse checks on any system I don't want to hang, e.g. if
> it's remote, it lacks a reset button or I'm writing an e-mail on it :)

Nice to hear. :)

- Josh Triplett