Re: Feature request - allow boolean operations of undefined cpp symbols

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>> I think sparse should distinguish between safe and unsafe preprocessor
>> operations on undefined symbols.
[...]
>> For instance, "#if SYMBOL" has a very specific meaning
>
> No.
>
> 	#if SYMBOL
>
> has a very specific *problem* - it very possibly is a typo.
>
> So this is a warning I absolutely *want* for the kernel. If some other
> projects don't want it, fine, but it should be on by default as a warnign
> for potentially dangerous use of preprocessor symbols.

I looked this behavior up in the C99 standard, and found the following text in
section 6.10.1:
> Prior to evaluation, macro invocations in the list of preprocessing tokens
> that will become the controlling constant expression are replaced (except
> for those macro names modified by the defined unary operator), just as in
> normal text. If the token defined is generated as a result of this
> replacement process or use of the defined unary operator does not match one
> of the two specified forms prior to macro replacement, the behavior is
> undefined. After all replacements due to macro expansion and the defined
> unary operator have been performed, all remaining identifiers are replaced
> with the pp-number 0, and then each preprocessing token is converted into a
> token. The resulting tokens compose the controlling constant expression
> which is evaluated according to the rules of 6.6.

This states that we must substitute 0 for any undefined preprocessor symbol
in a #if or #elif condition, no matter what kind of expression they show up
in.  I confirmed this behavior via both GCC and Sparse; in an #if, "-1 <
SOMESYMBOL" evaluates true, and "1 < SOMESYMBOL" evaluates false.  Sparse
follows this spec precisely with respect to actual preprocessor behavior; it
simply has the ability to warn.

GCC has an equivalent option, also named -Wundef, that also generates a
warning.  Like Sparse, GCC does not issue this warning by default; GCC does
not include it in -Wall either.  For both Sparse and GCC, you have to turn it
on the warning for it to occur.

All of this makes me disinclined to turn -Wundef on by default.  However, I
also see no reason to change the current behavior of -Wundef.  GCC will also
give you a warning if you give -Wundef.  Just don't pass -Wundef if you have
valid conditionals in your project that generate warnings about undefined
preprocessor symbols.

However, Pavel, if you feel you could make part of -Wundef suitable to join
the default set of warnings, feel free.

- Josh Triplett