Re: Official releases?

Josh Boyer wrote:
> I'm just curious if anyone is ever really going to do an "official"
> release of sparse.  We've got daily snapshots provided by Dave Jones,
> and git of course, but will an official release tarball with shiny
> version numbers and everything be created?

Since sparse doesn't use any autofoolery, and doesn't include a version number
in the source anywhere, making a release should just require running git tag
and git archive, and putting the resulting tarball up in an official location.
As far as version numbering, it seems reasonable to use the former kernel
versioning system: major.oddeven.revision, starting from something like 0.1.0,
and keeping major version 0 until sparse can comfortably provide some
guarantee of backward compatibility for sparse extensions.  Thus, periodic
releases (0.1.1, 0.1.2, ...) wouldn't take much effort at all, and eventually
calling one "stable" (0.2.0, with crash-fixes an similar backported to produce
0.2.1, 0.2.2, ...) would mostly consist of a judgement call.

- Josh Triplett