Re: switching ARC to 64-bit time_t (Re: [RFC v6 07/23] RISC-V: Use 64-bit time_t and off_t for RV32 and RV64)

Hi Arnd,

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 09:31:32AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > > How do I build a latest RISCV 32-bit kernel + userland - do you have
> > > a buildroot branch somewhere that I can build / test with qemu ?
> >
> > Maybe a bit off topic - there is such QEMU and Yocto/OE based test
> > sandbox for ARM32:
> >
> > https://github.com/lmajewski/meta-y2038
> >
> > (the README provides steps for setup).
>
> (continuing off-topic, with debian-arm and Helmut on Cc)
>
> Would it be possible to take a snapshot of your glibc tree and
> start testing this out with debian-rebootstrap [1]?

This is exacty what rebootstrap is for. You should be able to experiment
with different ABIs without committing to a particular ABI. You can
fiddle with such aspects and then cross build a pile of around 120
Debian packages. That should uncover the most significant problems. You
don't even have to change the GNU triplet. You can just create an
incompatible throw-away port with an existing architecture name as
rebootstrap refuses to reuse any existing binary packages for the host
architecture.

If you want to pursue that route, get in touch with
debian-cross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or #debian-bootstrap on irc.oftc.net. The
usual route is forking the rebootstrap.git repository. You just hack up
your toolchain modifications an retry the bootstrap from scratch until
you are satisfied. Be prepared to put up with half a day or a day of CPU
time for a single run. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you have
undecipherable build failures. Balint Reczey has done something quite
similar to what you're up to: He attempted creating ports that are
instrumented with sanitizers.

Since I saw arc in the subject, I also threw arc at rebootstrap. Turns
out that glibc 2.30 does not yet cover arc and using unpackaged versions
of glibc is non-trivial for rebootstrap, so I cannot do much about that.
Once arc support is in a released version of glibc, I'd be happy to be
pinged about it.

Helmut