RE: Pass config-time variable to LIBC_SLIBDIR_RTLDDIR

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019, Alexey Brodkin wrote:

> Well I'm trying to solve a little bit different problem - to build
> a universal multilib cross-toolchain which will be usable for building
> binaries optimized for different ARC cores. Different I mean:
>  - Binary-incompatible architecture generations: ARCv1/ARCv2 (both still 32-bit)
>  - Hard/soft floating-point
>  - etc.

That sort of thing generally uses a separate sysroot for each multilib.
(Using GCC's t-sysroot-suffix avoids needing to define SYSROOT_SUFFIX_SPEC
manually yourself.)

Then the libraries don't need to use separate library directories if only
one ABI makes sense on a target at a time.  (But cases with different
endianness / different function calling ABI / different struct layout etc.
should still use different dynamic linker names.)

> > Checking -mcpu in CC is a bad idea, given that the compiler might have
> > been configured with a default CPU rather than passing it on the command
> > line.
>
> Well this case (no "-mcpu" in CC) is handled - then we just installed
> libs in default non-multilib location, i.e. simple "/lib".

The locations should be a function of the ABI - *not* of whether the ABI
is the default one for the compiler.  (For example, /lib64 is the
directory for non-x32 x86_64 libraries - both in an x86_64-linux-gnu
toolchain, and also for the -m64 multilib of an i686-linux-gnu toolchain
configured --enable-targets=all.  If you use Debian-style multiarch
layout, the locations are still a function of the ABI, just a different
function.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx