Re: linux 5.12 - fails to boot - soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 23s! - RIP smp_call_function_single

Any information of the system?  What block driver(s) do you use, how
many CPUs, kernel config?

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 12:39:59PM -0600, James Feeney wrote:
> With the patch to kernel/smp.c in linux 5.12.4, "smp: Fix smp_call_function_single_async prototype", by Arnd Bergmann, I thought maybe there was a fix.  But no.  The error is the same, except the top of the Call Trace is different:

> watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 23s! ...
> RIP: 0010:smp_call_function_single+0xeb/0x130
> Call Trace:
> ? text_poke_loc_init+0x160/0x160
> ? text_poke_loc_init+0x160/0x160
> on_each_cpu+0x39/0x90
>
> and repeats indefinitely.
>
> Again, smp_call_function_single is defined in kernel/smp.c
>
> It seems that my git bisect is probably off, since apparently the system may sometimes boot to a temporarily working state, and some "exercise" is needed to identify the failure.  However, see another git bisect for possibly the same issue at
>
>  https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/70663#comment199765
>
> with "bisect-result.txt"
>
>  https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/70663?getfile=20255
>
> Markus says, in part:
>
> ====
> Trying to bisect, I arrived at a different set of commits though.
> 7a800a20ae6329e803c5c646b20811a6ae9ca136 showed the issue described, where a seemingly working kernel will lock up rather quickly.
> f007a3d66c5480c8dae3fa20a89a06861ef1f5db worked flawlessly, without any hiccups doing random internet browsing while I was compiling the next bisect step.
> However, there are six commits between those, that did not boot and left me stuck with a black screen right after the bootloader (so no systemd startup message or similar). The system did not react to any inputs (Alt+SysRq) or to a short press of the PC's power button, and thus a hard shutdown was necessary.
> ====
>
> These 8 commits - total - are from Christopher Hellwig, 2021 Feb 02.  Perhaps something closer to the real issue is in there.  As with Markus, I've also noticed that a "warm" reboot can result in a frozen system immediately after the boot loader has run.  A full power-off reboot is needed to get past the early screen initialization.
>
> I'll have to re-do my git bisect, with more extensive system "exercise", to see if something more useful results.
>
> James
---end quoted text---

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Remote Processor]     [Audio]     [Linux for Hams]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Netfilter]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]     [Fedora Users]