Re: x86/sgx: v23-rc2

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 07:19:13PM -0600, Dr. Greg wrote:
> > > This would seem to imply that the driver is rather firmly architected
> > > on the notion of one open() per enclave, a concept that Jethro seems
> > > to have issues with.
>
> > I don't understand what concept you are talking about.
>
> If memory serves me correctly, Jethro envisioned a model where a
> single open of the SGX driver node would return a file descriptor that
> could then be used to create/load/initialize multiple enclaves.  Your
> clarifications indicate that a separate open will be needed for each
> and every enclave instance that will be orchestrated.
>
> Jethro, if I'm mistating your position on this, please jump in and
> clarify.

Ah.

You are speaking about having a factory to create enclaves and a
management interface. I.e. you'd have ioctl to create enclave that gives
you a file descriptor to access its management interface.

Out of top of my head I cannot recall why this was not favored in the
end but generally speaking added complexity should be justified by some
considerably strong measures.

/Jarkko