RFC: ttymon TTY monitor/sniffer alas usbmon

Hi

Sometimes you have some needs to sniff what is going on a serial port.
For example when you are debugging a microcontroller serial bootloader
or when you want to reverse engineer a serial protocol from/to a
binary blob.

So far I have taken the approach of using strace with relative good
results, but I miss a nice gui like wireshark. On the usb subsystem
they have the supernice usbmon that can be accessed with wireshark and
is very helpful for debugging  usb transaction (even the ones
initiated on a kvm virtual machine....)

So I  want to build a better alternative to strace for serial port
monitoring and of course I would really want it to get upstream.

I am considering two options: ebpf solution,  and pure C kernel
infrastructure as usbmon.

- I have not used ebpf/bcc before, but seems like a very powerful tool
and probably can do the job with a reduced amount of work, but I wont
have a gui as good as wireshark

- ttymon seems like the natural approach, but after 3 minutes of
google I have not found any previous attempt on this direction, so I
am probably missing something (or I have lost my google skils).

All this said, how do you feel about something like this? Any
ideas/feedback before I spam the list with patches?

Best regards!

--
Ricardo Ribalda