How can I change the FIFO size during runtime?

Hi there,

I'm fighting with a tricky problem. I want to use a serial console, but
not a usual one, the "serial controller" is the Intel AMT Serial Port
Redirection. So I have the following PCI device:

00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H KT
Redirection (rev 31) (prog-if 02 [16550])
	Subsystem: Fujitsu Technology Solutions Device 121d
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0
	Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 19
	Region 0: I/O ports at f0a0 [size=8]
	Region 1: Memory at f704d000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
	Capabilities: [40] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
		Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
		Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
	Kernel driver in use: serial

On an remote PC I use the "gamt" or "amtterm" to connect. Everything is
fine on older systems with AMT versions < 11.

But now we have new systems with AMT version 11 and the interface
behaves somewhat strange.

Strange means, I have to type 8 characters on my keyboard on the amtterm
machine until they are echoed back from the machine running the serial
port redirection.

I sniffed on the LAN using wireshark and saw that every keystroke is
immediately sent to the AMT machine, but it looks like AMT is now
buffering 8 characters. Totally weird and not usable in a serial console
context.

We reported this to Intel and Intel said they are aware of this and this
can be fixed by adjusting the FIFO size. They sent some fancy
screenshot how to do this in Windows, but I need a solution for the
Linux kernel.

So questions:

- Is there a way to change settings during runtime? I tried setserial
but no luck, just get "device busy" responses.

- If not I could think about patching the serial driver so that it
checks if the device-ID is the one of the redirection device and then
hard coded sets the receive FIFO size to 1. But even if such a patch
would enter the mainline kernel it would take months until it hits the
distributions...

Thanks,
Rainer--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Rainer Koenig
Project Manager Linux Clients
Dept. PDG WPS R&D SW OSE

Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Bürgermeister-Ullrich-Str. 100
86199 Augsburg
Germany

Telephone: +49-821-804-3321
Telefax:   +49-821-804-2131
Mail:      mailto:Rainer.Koenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Internet         ts.fujtsu.com
Company Details  ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html