        Van: Maarten Brock <m.brock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Aan: Jon Ringle <jringle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Verzonden: 16-10-2015 17:14
        Onderwerp: Trouble loading sc16is7xx driver

                Hello Jon,

                I have a problem getting the sc16is7xx.c driver to load.
                I have a Raspberry Pi B+ v1.2 and a board with an
                sc16is740 on it connected to the spi0 lines.
                I have compiled the 4.2.y kernel for the raspberry pi
                with devicetree support. I have compiled the sc16is7xx
                driver as a module. And I have created a devicetree
                overlay.
                I can see my overlay in the actual devicetree. But I get
                the following error during boot:

                Oct 16 14:52:02 vmipi kernel: [    9.201766] spi_master
                spi0: Failed to create SPI device
                for /soc/spi@7e204000/sc16is740@0

                And when I use modprobe spi:sc16is7xx it loads and shows
                in lsmod, but I still don't get any /dev/ttySCxx device.

                Module                  Size  Used by
                sc16is7xx              13124  0
                regmap_spi              2411  1 sc16is7xx
                regmap_i2c              3454  1 sc16is7xx

                Here's my dts overlay:

                // Definitions for SC16IS740 UART
                /dts-v1/;
                /plugin/;

                / {
                   compatible = "brcm,bcm2708";

                   fragment@0 {
                      target = <&spi0>;
                      __overlay__ {
                         status = "okay";

                         spidev@0 {
                            status = "disabled";
                         };

                         sc16is740: sc16is740@0 {
                            compatible = "nxp,sc16is740";
                            reg = <0>;
                            clocks = <&clk1M8>;
                            interrupt-parent = <&gpio>;
                            interrupts = <25 2>; /*
                IRQ_TYPE_EDGE_FALLING */
                            #gpio-controller;
                            #gpio-cells = <2>;
                            #spi-max-frequency = <4000000>;

                            clk1M8: clk1M8 {
                               compatible = "fixed-clock";
                               #clock-cells = <0>;
                               clock-frequency = <1843200>;
                            };
                         };
                      };
                   };
                };

                I've added the spidev@0 status="disabled" in the hope to
                resolve a conflict, but it did not help.

                Can you provide any help? If you need any more
                information, just ask. And if this question is better
                asked in a public forum, please advise where.

                Kind regards,
                Maarten Brock
                --
                Van Mierlo Ingenieursbureau BV