Re: Re[2]: USB serial support / Prolific PL2303 Driver

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 05:57:53PM +0200, Hans Beckérus wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response guys.
> Yes, putty is cross-platform, but I am actually running putty on
> Windows ;) It connects over the serial device on my laptop to the
> board running Linux. But Greg, you actually triggered me to check my
> hardware configuration and guess what? I was using the wrong kind of
> cable :) I used a simple male-female converter when I in fact had to
> use a cable that swapped Rx/Tx. My bad! But I have yet one more issue
> now. If I tell Linux to use my ttyUSB0 as console device on the boot
> cmdline, would it actually be able to start it in time?

Start in time for what?

You can use USB to serial devices as console devices just fine.  I
really don't recommend them, but if you have no other way to get a
console, it's better than nothing.

> I am running with a 3.6 kernel btw.

That's a bit out-of-date :)

thanks,