Re: Add hardware handshaking to pseudo-tty and USB serial gadget

[ +Jiri Slaby who doesn't read linux-serial ;) ]

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 23:32 +0000, Craig McQueen wrote:

> > From: Peter Hurley [mailto:peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 20:38 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> > > For years, I've wanted to be able to implement serial-ports in
> > > user-space, but the pseudo-tty implments too small a subset of the
> > tty
> > > API to make it usable for that.  In addition to the TIOCMSET/TIOCMGET
> > > support, it would need to support all the other standard serial-port
> > > configuration options (character len, parity, baud rate, RTS/CTS flow
> > > control, etc.).
> > >
> > > I asked several years ago if such enhancements to the pseudo-tty
> > > driver would be accepted, but I never got any response, so I took
> > that
> > > as a "no".
> >
> > Anything tacked onto the pty driver is a non-starter because any app
> > that mis-handles termios for a pty will be in for a shock. There's a
> > lot of weird legacy behavior that must continue to work.
>
> I understand that could be a concern.
>
> How about we add the functionality to the pty driver, but it's
> disabled by default, and applications that want it can turn it on with
> an ioctl call?

It's not my place to say yes or no here.

FWIW the pty driver is still a maintenance burden -- I just fixed 2
problems with open()/close() this release.

> > handshaking
> > >
> > > No reason other than you and I are the only two people who care about
> > > it. :)
> >
> > Assuming you're leaning toward an in-kernel solution, why not just
> > implement a new tty driver that behaves like a local serial port?
>
> The pseudo-tty already provides most of the functionality I want, so I
> don't want to reinvent the wheel. I want to use it to simulate a modem
> device. Various other programs could benefit from an enhanced
> pseudo-tty, so they also don't have to implement their own kernel
> drivers--e.g.:

I should have been more specific: I didn't mean necessarily start from
scratch. As a starting point you could just dup pty.c, rip out the BSD
legacy support, and rename the driver/tty device base names.

Whatever that was would behave just like ptm/pts.

> * interceptty could be enhanced if the pseudo-tty could handle
> hardware handshaking as well as setting port speed etc.
> * Serial-over-Ethernet (RFC-2217) client drivers could use a
> pseudo-tty to implement the virtual tty device, including hardware
> handshaking and setting port speed etc.
>
> > For the firewire-over-serial staging driver, I did a software-only
> > loopback driver that does all that (simulate MCTRL, etc.) as a way to
> > test and isolate firewire/dma problems from data handling and tty
> > driver problems.

> > the

> > > That's what I'd vote for.

> > about
> >
> > This is the approach I took for simulating HW flow control over
> > firewire. Software null-modem cable.
>
> Perhaps there are pros and cons for both options. If we can't get a
> clear consensus, could we make this configurable with an ioctl call?

I was just sharing my experience. For this part, "the right way" is
whatever you implement.

Regards,
Peter Hurley