Re: What to set uart_port->irq to for polled driver?

On 2013-02-28, Peter Hurley <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 15:24 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> For a polled serial driver that doesn't use interrupts, to what should
>> the "irq" field in the uart_port structure be set?  Should it be 0?
>> Should it be the unused IRQ associated with the PCI card slot in which
>> the board is found?
>
> Doesn't look supported, but adding the support doesn't look difficult.
> At the very least, a patch is required so that on port shutdown, the
> core doesn't synchronize_irq().

Does the call ty synchronize_irq() do any harm? AFAICT, it will just
cause a short delay if handling of that IRQ is in-progress.

I currently set the "irq" field to the IRQ number that would be used
by the board if I did choose to enable interrupts. That seems to work
fine (with rather limited testing).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! We just joined the
                                  at               civil hair patrol!