Re: USB: serial: port lifetimes (was: Re: USB Ooops PL2303 when unplug while use (linux v3.7.3))

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 05:23:43PM +0100, Johan Hovold wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 12:35:32PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > > Yes, Peter noticed that one too. Changing the order shouldn't cause any
> > > new issues as far as I can see. I'll cook up a patch for this one as
> > > well, but just to be clear: this is not directly related to the problem
> > > discussed above as there may be outstanding tty references long after
> > > both functions return (not that anyone has claimed anything else).
> >
> > This is related to the problem of the port's private data being
> > accessed after it is deallocated.  The only way that can happen is if
> > the tty layer calls the subdriver after the private data structure is
> > freed -- and you said above that this does happen.
> >
> > But if change things so that the structure isn't freed until after the
> > port is unregistered from the tty layer, this would mean that the tty
> > layer is trying to do stuff to an unregistered port.  That would be a
> > bug in the tty layer.
>
> Yes, I acknowledged that it is a bug, but it's not the one I'm
> triggering.

This was ambiguous. I meant to acknowledge that port_release should be
called after unregistration, but what I'm triggering is the different
bug that tty callbacks are made after unregistration (and proceed to
discuss whether this is indeed to be considered a bug in tty or
usb-serial below).