Re: New serial card development

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 06:45:51PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> FWIW, in some products we're planning that will require support for
> various industrial serial protocols, I'm leaning towards abandoning
> the tty driver approach and writing a stand-alone character device
> driver.  The byte-stream oriented tty/line-discipline layer just
> doesn't fit well when dealing with frame-oriented industrial protocols
> that depend on things like 9th bit addressing and detecting
> sub-millisecond inter-byte timeouts.

You might want to take a look at how the ppp line discipline (which is
obviously highly packet oriented) works.  One advantage of doing
things that way is if you have a multiport serial card, where some
ports want to play this packet-oriented approach, and other cards
might be connected to a traditional modem or terminal sort of device,
you won't have to figure out how to share a PCI board between two
different drivers, allocating one port to the traditional tty/serial
driver, and another one to your new driver, etc.

Regards,

						- Ted