Re: unrecognized multi io pci card

> After adding the IDs and descriptions I found unfortunately that the module
> 8250_pci reclaims the pci device as a serial card only and this prevents the
> successful registration of the parport_serial driver (which also depends on
> 8250_pci).
>
> So I blacklisted the card in 8250_pci.c using the sofmodem blacklist mechanism
> already in place. I know this isn't really the right place to do it but it
> works and I didn't find another way.

Actually I think it is the right place to do it. Prior to that the only
cases we've had to deal with are board specifc rules such as for the
Timedia/Sunix card. The softmodem bit of the blacklist wants renaming and
a comment adding to each group giving the reason.

> Eventually the parallel and the serial ports are detected but only the parallel
> port works because the serial ports are wrongly recognized as XScale when they
> are actually 16550 clones: if I set the port type by hand with setserial they work.
>
> So I changed the autoconfig function in 8250.c this way: checks also the RTOIE
> bit in IER to detect the port as XSCALE. I don't think this is really correct
> but I've no knowledge on XSCALE or my serial card hardware to do it better.

Trying to get autodetection right is always a little bit exciting and one
device tends to break another.

In this case you know the device type and have a PCI identifier you should
be able to set

	up->port.flags |= UPF_FIXED_TYPE;
	up->port.type = PORT_16550A;

before the call to serial8250_register_8250_port();

Alan