RE: OMAP2+:UART driver help

Govindraj,

Thanks for your response.

On Monday, 17 October 2011 4:43 PM, Govindraj [mailto:govindraj.ti@xxxxxxxxx] wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Paul Chiha <paul.chiha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a newbie and would like some help with serial drivers in the kernel.
> >
> > I've got an OMAP35x EVM (with UARTs 1/2-3 on board), and I would like
> > to write my own driver which uses UART 3.  I'm not sure of the best
> > way to do this.
>
> Most use cases tend to use omap-serial itself with a client driver, for any
> client peripheral over uart.
>
> > I don't know how to use the existing ttyO2 device and omap-serial
> > driver for my own purpose.  Basically I want to write a driver which
> > sits between the application and the omap-serial driver, but only for
> > UART 3.  Is there a simple mechanism to do this, or do I need to
> > replace omap_serial with my own?
>
> I don't know why you want to do that rather use the existing uart driver, for
> any console usage you can pass console parameter from bootargs and works well,
> for any use case from user space application can open
> UART3(ttyO2) configure it using termios ops and use it.
>
> How is your use case very different from these?

Because I need to be able to convert the given datastream, and send out packets at a precise periodic interval.  I could do it all in userspace, but I need to be able to guarantee timing.  Hence, a driver is recommended.

> If you have a device connected over UART and want to controlled then, you may
> consider intermediate layer as ldisc layer.
> ex: TI Bluetooth driver "drivers/misc/ti-st/st_core.c"

Thanks, I'll have a look.

> > Also,
> > is there an existing driver that does something similar to what I want
> > that I can base my driver on?
>
> I dont see any such driver other omap-serial which supports omap-uarts, but
> AFAIK you cannot add stuffs in that driver for a particular use case.

Yes I know.  I'll see if I can use the existing omap-serial driver.
Thanks,
Paul