Re: MAX3107 driver faulty

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 02:31:51PM +0100, Nico Becker wrote:
> Hello,
> i want to use the MAX3107 driver,
> thats included in the kernel 2.6.37.
>
> I think the driver is faulty.
>
> I have done several changes,
> before the driver works rudimentary.
>
> I have check the datasheet and found
> inconsistence between chip and driver.
>
> In AutoCTS AutoRTS Mode the Register
> txdisable and rxdisable should be set.
> But txdisable isnt set, so the max3107 sends
> data even the cts signal is high.
>
> The IntOscen Flag (enable internal Oscilator) is never set.
>
> Different register write operations are done in one stream.
> Example: http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?a=arm;i=max3107_register_init
> But in the datasheet it is explained:
> "If the SPI burst address is different to 0x00, the MAX3107
> automatically increments the register address after each SPI data
> byte."
> So it is impossible to write in the register 0x1D, 0x1C, 0x1B
> in one stream.
> after the first address 0x1D the maxim increment the address
> automatically to 0x1E.
>

> Have somebody test the driver,
> or have although trouble with the chip?

I haven't, but I'll add the people who brought the driver to the kernel
to CC. Maybe they can comment.

> Because i am really new with the kernel hacking,
> what are the next steps, build an patch?

Doing patches (one per issue) might be an idea. It is usually easier to
talk about code. Reading Documentation/SubmittingPatches will probably
make the process easier.

Thanks,

   Wolfram

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Wolfram Sang                |