Re: Uartlite - ulite_transmit

Hi,

 >> That would make us spin in the interrupt for potentially quite a
 >> while, E.G. until all data is transferred to the TX fifo.

 Michal> yep. That's truth but shouldn't be a problem for standard
 Michal> systems. Maybe worth to count how many times is tx fifo full on
 Michal> standard systems.

But I still don't understand why you would want to burn CPU spinning
when you know the UART will be busy for a while. Leaving it alone until
it generates the TX fifo empty interrupt seems more logical to me.

 >> What kind of problem are you trying to fix in the first place? You
 >> should get an interrupt when the TX fifo empties, which fill completely
 >> fill up the fifo again and so on - That should work just fine even with
 >> a low baud rate.

 Michal> I am trying to solve the problem for xilinx mdm IP (compatible
 Michal> with uartlite) where there are some missing characters on
 Michal> serial console.

Strange. It's been a few years since I worked with Xilinx stuff and
never used microblaze, so I don't know anything about MDM.

 Michal> Maybe there is something wrong in different place but there are
 Michal> definitely missing characters.

 Michal> Just for the record: I also have to extend for loop in
 Michal> ulite_console_wait_tx to get all chars for console.

Yeah, that loop should probably be time based (and perhaps calculated
from baud rate).

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard