RE: serial port being reset at top of every hour?

I've looked for cron jobs and logins, but no joy. In fact, I've
reinstalled Debian to EtchnHalf (2.6.24) and built a custom kernel
(supporting VIA C7 proc and removing SMP).

So now I want to instrument serial_core.c to dump_stack() at every
uart_open(), and see what the stack looks like at the top-of-the-hour.

At times, this issue has appeared on the first port of a MOXA card
(ttyMI0), but currently is presenting on ttyS0. Will modifying
uart_open() in serial_core.c catch *all* open calls on *all* serial
ports (including mxser_new, i.e. moxa driver)?

Any recommendations or words of caution?

Also, under Debian, is there a way for me to recompile just
serial_core.c without having to build an entire kernel?

Thanks,

Rick