RE: Suggested patch for linux

I fully agree with Grant Edwards. I, as well, have been myself maintaining
two serial drivers that support half-duplex mode exactly as described, and I
have to control that feature via non-standard hacks !!!
I have been porting them over and over again with each Linux version and
subversion, since Linux 2.2, and there IS a demand for it.

About the benefit to have this in the kernel: well, we would be enabled to
implement it for any UART, not just the 16550 series !

Now, about Linux RT and response times: The TXD-to-RTS delay must be as
short as possible. To do this, several UARTS i.e. (Ox950) have a special
mode. How could you do this in a user land program for any baud rate ? I
speak about baud rates up to 2 Mbps, they are in use nowadays on
RS2422/RS485 lines.

Really, I would like AT LEAST some commonly defined way to activate this
behaviour. Russell King once suggested to create a line discipline to handle
the RTS, but even like this we need a way (an ioctl) to activate the
behaviour in the UART driver, to make it independent from the specific UART.

JP Tosoni
Acksys