RE: Output character lost with 8250 UART driver

Do you have the FIFO's disabled, but transmit_chars() thinks they are
enabled?
Sounds to me like that might be your problem and without the
wait_for_xmitr() call you are overrunning the transmitter.  In other words,
if you have FIFOs disabled, up->tx_loadsz should be 1.

What UART are you using?

..Chris