Enhancing pty driver to act like a serial port?

>The question of emulating a serial port in user-space has come
>up a number of times in various contexts during the past few
>years.
>
>The current pty driver isn't really sufficient when the
>application actually expects to be connected to a physical
>serial port:

A better userspace solution would be great. I'm maintaining
cyclades-serial-client. It relies on LD_PRELOAD, which is not very
elegant.

>you can't set parity or word length, and the modem
>control/status ioctl() calls fail.

Oh. I was just investigating why it's not possible to set "cs7" on the
pty. stty fails with:

$ stty cs7 -F /my/pty
stty: /my/pty: unable to perform all requested operations

I guess this explains it.

Best regards,
---
Peter Åstrand		ThinLinc Chief Developer