Re: Uartlite driver & CONFIG_CONSOLE_POLL

    One of the key differences between my uartlite driver and Peter's
is that like many other serial drivers I have a timer to support irqless
use. Just like Peter has UartLite Like devices with 16bit datapaths,
I have UartLites with no interrupts.

   I have tried (unsuccessfully) several times to migrate my timer
code into Peter's driver. This is probably the most fundimental
remaining reason I can not use Peter's driver.

    More recently I noticed a CONFIG_CONSOLE_POLL option show
up. There are remarks that this is similar to NETPOLL - though
it seems to be implimented using a getc and putc rather than a
poll entry.

    Is this a general serial facility, rather than just for consoles ?
    If I create the polled getc/putc routines can I expect a serial driver
to be functional without having to implement  my own  timer based
polling ?

    Is this the proper way to do this ?

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein