RE: Problems with serial hardware under newer kernels

I'm following up my own message here, with the 'solution' I've found to
my problem.

Basically, I did recompiles of various kernels under various conditions
and finally came the conclusion that the issue has to do with SMP. If I
turn SMP on for my kernel, the serial ports will NOT work (as described
below). If turn SMP off, they will work fine.

The motherboard is a single processor and the CPU has but one core. So
something that is turned on by the activation of SMP is killing my
serial ports.

If anyone can give me any idea what's going on, I'd appreciate it - I
can certainly build kernels without SMP, but I'd like to understand why
I need to.

Thanks!