Re: How to use serial ports from a kernel module.

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, ian wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 21:41 +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>
> > You need to write a line discipline... have a look here:
> > http://www.linux.it/~rubini/docs/serial/serial.html
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> What I cant see from that is how one can avoid touching userspace at all
> - as far as I can see, only userspace can actually attach a line
> discipline to a serial port. I'd like to have this happen in the kernel
> so that I dont need some program sitting idly opening the serial device
> the whole time.

Right, you need a user-space daemon for that. In your original post you
only said

> > Ideally I'd want to prevent userspace being able to use the port which
> > has the keypad connected, but not touch the other two ports.

which I understood as "I want to lock this port, and leave the rest
untouched" and not as "avoid touching userspace at all". I don't think
you can do it without a user-space programme.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski