Re: [RESEND 2/2] sctp: hold cached endpoints to prevent possible UAF

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021, Xin Long wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 11:39 AM Lee Jones <lee.jones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > in sctp_sock_dump():
> > >         struct sock *sk = ep->base.sk;
> > >         ... <--[1]
> > >         lock_sock(sk);
> > >
> > > Do you mean in [1], the sk is peeled off and gets freed elsewhere?
> >
> > 'ep' and 'sk' are both switched out for new ones in sctp_sock_migrate().
> >
> > > if that's true, it's still late to do sock_hold(sk) in your this patch.
> >
> > No, that's not right.
> >
> > The schedule happens *inside* the lock_sock() call.
> Sorry, I don't follow this.
> We can't expect when the schedule happens, why do you think this
> can never be scheduled before the lock_sock() call?

True, but I've had this running for hours and it hasn't reproduced.

Without this patch, I can reproduce this in around 2 seconds.

The C-repro for this is pretty intense!

If you want to be *sure* that a schedule will never happen, we can
take a reference directly with:

     ep = sctp_endpoint_hold(tsp->asoc->ep);
     sk = sock_hold(ep->base.sk);

Which was my original plan before I soak tested this submitted patch
for hours without any sign of reproducing the issue.

> If the sock is peeled off or is being freed, we shouldn't dump this sock,
> and it's better to skip it.

I guess we can do that too.

Are you suggesting sctp_sock_migrate() as the call site?

--
Lee Jones [李琼斯]
Senior Technical Lead - Developer Services

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Networking Development]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux SCSI]     SCTP