Re: draft-stewart-tsvwg-sctp-ipv4 enforcement

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 4:40 PM Sérgio <surkamp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am troubleshooting a deployment with SCTP and eventually found that
> the client has configured the equipment using addresses within the
> RFC2544 annex C.2.2 test network (198.18.0.0/15).
>
> Although I think the deployment network may be changed to use another
> address space in order to "solve" the issue, the restriction
> enforcement on the SCTP kernel driver (implemented by function
> sctp_v4_addr_valid -- net/sctp/protocol.c -- in expansion of
> IS_IPV4_UNUSABLE_ADDRESS -- include/net/sctp/consntans.h) seems odd to
> me, because the address is a valid unicast IPv4 address and should be
> acceptable as per RFC4960 clause 8.4:
>
>    The receiver of an OOTB packet MUST do the following:
>
>    1)  If the OOTB packet is to or from a non-unicast address, a
>        receiver SHOULD silently discard the packet.  Otherwise,
>
> The source code states that this restriction came from
> draft-stewart-tsvwg-sctp-ipv4, which is true, and the sysctl
> net.sctp.addr_scope_policy is documented in ip-sysctl.txt as a switch
> for the desired draft behavior, but changing the sysctl value has no
> effect because IS_IPV4_UNUSABLE_ADDRESS macro expansion has no
> verification of any sysctl configuration nor the sctp_v4_addr_valid.
>
> The draft-stewart-tsvwg-sctp-ipv4 enforcement seems like a bug or I am
> missing something?

There must be a reason for not using 198.18.0.0/24 in SCTP, as in

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-stewart-tsvwg-sctp-ipv4-00#section-3.1

   [1]  IANA, I., "Special-Use IPv4 Addresses", draft-iana-special-ipv4-
        03 (work in progress), April 2002.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-iana-special-ipv4-03