Re: add SPP_PLPMTUD_ENABLE/DISABLE flag for spp_flags

> On 18. May 2021, at 20:33, Xin Long <lucien.xin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 1:38 PM Michael Tuexen <tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> On 18. May 2021, at 18:43, Xin Long <lucien.xin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, Michael,
>>>
>>> We're implementing RFC8899 (PLPMTUD) on Linux SCTP recently,
>>> and to make this be controlled by setsockopt with
>>> SCTP_PEER_ADDR_PARAMS, as in
>>>
>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6458#section-8.1.12:
>>>
>>> we need another two flags to add for spp_flags:
>>>
>>> SPP_PLPMTUD_ENABLE
>>> SPP_PLPMTUD_DISABLE
>>>
>>> Do you think it makes sense? if yes, does the RFC6458 need to update?
>>> if not, do you have a better suggestion for it?
>> It is great new that you want to implement RFC 8899. I plan to do the
>> same for the FreeBSD stack.
>>
>> In my view, RFC 8899 is the right way to implement PMTU discovery.
>> So I will just use the SPP_PMTUD_ENABLE and SPP_PMTUD_DISABLE. I don't
>> think that the user needs to control which method is used.
>> I you want to support multiple versions, I would make that
>> controllable via a sysctl variable. But I think for FreeBSD, support
>> for RFC 8899 will be the only way of doing PMTU discovery. There
>> might be multiple choices for details like how to do the searching,
>> how long to wait for some events. These will be controllable via
>> sysctl.
>>
>> So in my view, there is no need to extend the socket API. What do you think?
> OK, that makes sense to me.
>
> Another thing I want to know your opinion on is:  do you think the HB
> should be created
> separately for PLPMTUD probe, instead of reusing the old HB that
> checks the link connectivity?
Yes. I think testing for connectivity is conceptually different
from testing a particular PMTU. When testing for PMTU, I think
about sending probe packets. Not that they consist of a HB chunk
bundled with a PAD chunk.
> As the HB for PLPMTUD probe might get lost, which we don't want to
> affect the link's
> connectivity.
Yes, I agree completely.

Best regards