Re: 200ms delays with SCTP streaming data

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 07:11:04PM -0300, Marcelo Leitner wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 04:59:07PM -0500, Corey Minyard wrote:
> > Hi, it's me again with another strange issue.  In case you didn't figure
> > it out before, I'm working on a library that supports all different
> > types of stream I/O, and SCTP is one supported building block.  I
> > noticed when I stacked a multiplexer layer on top of SCTP I started
> > getting timeouts occasionally.  It took a bit, but I finally realized
> > that I was getting 200ms delays occasionally between sending a packet
> > and receiving a packet.  I verified this with a trace right at the
> > sctp_send() and sctp_recvmsg() calls.  It doesn't seem to be regular
> > in any way I can see, but it happens often enough to cause issues.
> >
> > If I replace the SCTP block with a TCP block, it works fine, and pretty
> > much all the code is the same except where it does the read and write
> > calls (including the epoll() usage, and I have also switched to select()
> > and it has the same issue).  The write calls don't seem to be the issue,
> > I see two back-to-back writes a few microseconds apart and see a 200ms
> > delay between the messages on the receive side.
> >
> > The test in question sets up two connections and does a big simultaneous
> > bidirectional transfer.  The test app has 4 threads waiting on epoll()
> > handling data and writing data.
> >
> > And the delay is always ~200ms.  Which sounds suspicious.
>
> That can be the delayed sack timer, in kernel.
> /* Delayed sack timer - 200ms */
> #define SCTP_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT_SACK       (200)
>
> You may tweak the sysctl net.sctp.sack_timeout and see if changes
> accordingly, or via SCTP_PEER_ADDR_PARAMS or even enable immediate ack
> (by setting SPP_SACKDELAY_DISABLE)

Ok, setting SPP_SACKDELAY_DISABLE does make the problem go away.

> > It's not using sctp_sendv() at the moment, as the systems I'm running on
> > don't have that yet.  But the library does have support if it sees it is
> > available.
> >
> > So I don't think it's my library; I've stared at it a bunch (and found a
> > few other bugs) but I can't reconcile this one.  There are no timers
>
> Nice.
>
> > that would cause this in the code in question.  Just basically an
> > epoll() call waiting on data and receive processing that is comparing
> > data, along with write processing that is sending the same data.
> >
> > Anyway, I haven't tried to create a small reproducer; I thought I would
> > report it first and see if anything rang a bell.  I tried this on a
> > recent kernel and got the same issue.
>
> I guess a combination of xmit rate, msg and buffer sizes and packet
> drops can lead to this delay. I've seen it happening, but didn't have
> the time to track it down back then.

There should be no packet drops.  It's running across localhost, and
flow control in the multiplex layer as it's set up for the tests limits
the maximum outstanding data to 1024 bytes.  With overhead and flow
control messages it's maybe 1050 bytes of data that would ever be
unacked.  (It's not really testing throughput, it's testing the inner
workings of the multiplexing protocol.)

If I understand this correctly per the RFCs, by default if there are two
messages outstanding, it will send an sack immediately.  Otherwise it
waits 200ms.  I'm guessing what is happening is that that SCTP sends a
sack and then receives one more message and the upper layer stops
because of flow control.  Then the sack comes out in 200ms and things
continue.

So I think I can figure out how to make this work smoothly.  I assume
this doesn't happen in TCP because all packets carry an ack, and there
is data flowing both ways all the time.

Thanks,

-corey