Re: packed structures used in socket options

On 7. Jun 2020, at 23:35, Ivan Skytte Jørgensen <isj-sctp@xxxxx> wrote:

> On Sunday, 7 June 2020 22:21:41 CEST you wrote:

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

> I don't have access to TSVWG mailing list archive that far back but I found I wrote this summary here:
>
> On Sunday, 25 September 2005 21:36:05 CEST Ivan Skytte Jørgensen wrote:
>> I followed the discussion in tsvwg mailing list. My interpretation of the few
>> answers is that this is a "quality of implementation issue" and that padding
>> fields are allowed but won't get into the RFC because it is an implementation
>> issue.
>

> So RFC6458 allows padding but doesn't list them.
Yepp, that is my understanding (being a co-author).

> Incidentally, at that time (and perhaps still) sockaddr_storage had different alignement between 32-bit programs and 64-bit programs, and the multicast structures used in setsockopt() (group_req, group_source_req and  group_filter) had/has the same problem.
If I remember it correctly, I tested (FreeBSD) stuff on Little Endian, Big Endian, 32-bit, 64-bit, but not
run one binary on another platform.

Best regards
Michael