From: linux-sctp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-sctp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of malc
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 4:36 AM
To: linux-sctp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SCTP heartbeat transmission interval in not working as expected

Hey Vlad, Ravi,

Pretty sure the initial confusion was around the first HB apparently not using HB.Interval + RTO.*Init* (=3s in the given scenario) +/- 50%. (I sent a message suggesting that this would not be the case if DATA/SACK had been exchanged causing an RTT calculation before the HB timer was started, but forgot to set plaintext so vger bounced me...) I am pretty sure this can happen if we bundle DATA with COOKIE ECHO, wasn't sure if we do an RTO calc for any of the initial handshake /without/ DATA being exchanged (spec doesn't say to afaik, but it doesn't say not to either...)

If Ravi can share wireshark traces - I guess it will make it most obvious exactly which scenario he is seeing. I can tell you that last time I tested with a 3rd party conformance tool (Testing Tech), albeit a while ago now - this was all working as I understood it should.

Cheers,
malc.