Re: wrong family for IP addresses given by sctp library

On 12/03/2014 12:25 PM, Michael Tuexen wrote:
On 03 Dec 2014, at 11:50, Boiteux Frederic <fboiteux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

          Hello,

I'm trying to use SCTP on Linux machines with 'old' kernels (Debian 5, 2.6.26 kernel and Debian 7, 3.2 kernel). I've setup a program which can handles IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, and for that, I use a socket with AF_INET6 family, then I bind it to IPv4 or v6 addresses with sctp_bindx() (its manual page says this call can handle both v4 and v6 adresses if the socket is an IPv6 one).
It seems to work well, but I have a strange behavior : on a test platform with only IPv4 addresses, when I get messages or notifications (using sctp_recvmsg()), the addresses given in it (IP address of the sender, or confirmation/fail of some peer addresses) are always from the IPv6 family !
Is it possible that the address are mapped V4 addresses?

Hmm, Frederic, could you try with a current kernel? We've had fixes
in the past such as ...

commit 299ee123e19889d511092347f5fc14db0f10e3a6
Author: Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Wed Jul 30 12:40:53 2014 -0600

    sctp: Fixup v4mapped behaviour to comply with Sock API

Best regards
Michael
For example, for received messages, the « from » socket address returned by sctp_recvmsg() has always a sa_family field to AF_INET6, even if the address is in fact an IPv4 address ! Using getnameinfo() with NI_NUMERICHOST option, I  can get the ascii representation of the address, a 4 dotted address, and then I have to fix the address to use it with its real family (as I expected to receive).
It seems to be directly related to the AF_INET6 family of the socket, but I don't know if it' s a known problem, possibly fixed since then in latest linux-sctip library, or probably a programmatic error from me.

  Have you ever heard for such problem ? What is your feeling about ?

	With regards,
                      Fred.