Re: BUG in sctp crashes the system

Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 18-11-08 09:04:58, Vlad Yasevich wrote:
>> Michal Hocko wrote:
> [...]
>>> Do you have any ETA?
>>> Is there some way how to help here?
>>>
>> which version in particular is most critical?
>>
>> Just remember then 2.6.16 is very old and there have been a lot of fixes that
>> address critical issues.
>>
>> For 2.6.28, can you apply the attached patch and post dmesg output.  Also, if
>> it's possible to capture a kdump, that would make things much easier.
>
> Does it make sense to enable CONFIG_SCTP_DBG_MSG and CONFIG_SCTP_DBG_OBJCNT?
> We don't set them in our enterprise kernels and I as this seems to be
> race condition I would like to prevent some timing issues. But if it is
> worth trying I can try to turn them on.

DBG_MSG will slow everything down too much and will alter any races significantly.

I don't think this is as much a race as potentially corruption.  From the
skb_over_panic() you reported, the allocated skb looks very strange.

The skb size is 1280 bytes and the reserved header area is on 116 bytes.
That doesn't appear to correspond to what should be in the packet.
So, either sctp_packet or skb somehow got corrupted.  The debug code I
added will show the values from the sctp_packet if such corruption occurs.
We'll still BUG out since I want to see the values from the skb as well.
Getting a kdump will allow to examine other areas as well, but I wanted
to start small.

-vlad