Re: receiver window questions

On May 29, 2008, at 5:25 PM, Neil Horman wrote:

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:06:11AM -0400, Vlad Yasevich wrote:
Hi Michael

Michael Tuexen wrote:
Hi Vlad,

we are currently testing the receive behaviour of Linux (and
other systems).

We are using Fedora 9, kernel 2.6.25-14.

The receiver application just opens a 1-to-many style socket
and sleeps forever, not reading any messages.

The sender (on a different machine), sends a lot of messages of the
same size, all on stream 0, ordered.

When setting the receive buffer space (using the SO_RCVBUF socket option)
to 10000 we oberserve the following:

- When sending messages of size 1000 bytes, the receiver SACK the first,
announces 9000 bytes windows, SACKs the second announces 8000 bytes
and so on. Look fine. The a_rwnd goes down to 0 and discards messages.
Everything is fine.

- When sending messages of size 100 bytes, the receiver SACKs the first
messages and reduces the a_rwnd accordingly. Then it looks like the
receive buffer grows, because messages are accepted and the a_rwnd does
not shrink. Is this intended?

No.  The a_rwnd should go down to 0 as before.

We also figured out that after about 670947 messages of size 100 bytes
the association is aborted. Is this intended?

This is also not intended.  We'll take a look.

That does sound odd, yes, a_rwnd should be reduced in response to each received
frame.  do you have tcpdumps of this test available?
Thanks
Neil
It looks like that you do not reduce the a_rwnd, because you discard the message. The problem seems to be that you ack it by incrementing the cumtsn_ack...

Irene did the tests in the lab. We'll provide traces and a testprogram tomorrow.

*Neil Horman
*nhorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1
*http://pgp.mit.edu