Re: [RFC] libata-scsi: introducing SANITIZE translation

To be honest, that sounds like FUD to me.

The exact reason why this can "safely" be introduced to the SATL is
that, it is a "one-shot" command that would only be triggered by the
user through a user space utility. It's nothing like TRIM that would
be triggered by the filesystem layer or so "from time to time", which
might cost users "unexpected" data loss. It is also nothing like
SECURE ERASE (which vendors had to abuse to provide equivalence of
BLOCK ERASE and CRYPTOGRAPHIC ERASE for SSDs and drives that does
hardware encryption) that requires the drive to be locked before you
can issue an erase command.

Certainly you can expect users to pack an ATA PASS-THROUGH command
themselves and issued it with sg_raw or so, or hdparm to be patched to
support the full feature set (including the "optional"
FREEZE/ANTIFREEZE sub-feature), but I don't see how these would be
reasons that the translation should not be introduced to the kernel,
so that we can make good use of its existing SATL infrastructure and
sg_sanitize.

Whether it is "secure" enough to use the implementation would be the
user's call. To be frank, saying that implementing it in the "SAT-way"
would make it untrustable doesn't make any sense to me, especially
when the way the feature set works is considered.